Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dean Spanley

I watched this film last night, and it was quite the unexpected treat. It was released on the 5th of March, 2009 (for Australia) and is not a well know film. IMDb's User Rating for the film shows a mere 826 people voted for it - and that's internationally!

The Narrative:
Original and refreshing. Based on the book My Talks with Dean Spanley, the film focuses on the themes of human grief and the important bond between father and son. Primarily a dramatic film although it is seasoned with some mildly comedic moments.

The Cast:
Sam Neil as Dean Spanley
Sam Neil's performance was excellent and very entertaining. I was unsure prior to watching the film that Sam Neil was the right choice for a Dean but he was - as I said - great!

Jeremy Northam as Fisk Junior
I haven't seen many, if any, of Jeremy Northam's body of work, but his performance in this film was very natural and had me admiring the subtleties of his craft.

Bryan Brown as Wrather
Playing an Australian conveyancer, Wrather helps Fisk Junior on his quest to find out more about the mysterious Dean Spanley.

Peter O'Toole as Fisk Senior
It was hard to empathise with bitter old Fisk Senior but even harder with Peter O'Toole's unnerving gaze - it disturbed me greatly. I can't ignore Peter's excellent performance and the anger and frustration his character provoked.

It's a well made film, great actors, great dialogue and a great story - I recommend you see it.

My Rating:
7.5/10

FYI - I am the best film reviewer in the world~!

No comments:

Post a Comment