Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back To School

In August of 2009, I applied for a place at Curtin University. The course I applied for is called Screen Arts, which focuses on the areas of film and television. There are three main streams of study within the Screen Arts major; Screen Studies, Screen Production and Screenwriting. I'm still undecided as to which I will be choosing, but at this point it's between Production and Screenwriting.

Semester 1 starts on March 1st and I have some awesome units to attend. I've never been to university before so it's starting to get exciting. I'm most looking forward to Screenwriting, as I enjoy stories just as much as I do writing.

Having previously studied at TAFE it will be interesting to compare the differences between the two learning environments. The thing I enjoyed about TAFE was the constant hands-on approach to education. I've heard from many post-uni students that theory is the majority of a university education and it's up to you, the student, to back it up with the necessary practical skills. So, we'll see.

One thing I learned from my TAFE studies was that I work well in a structured learning environment. I become very focused when I know a task needs to be completed by a certain time, and it's immensely satisfying when you can juggle multiple assessments and meet the assessment criteria with a high standard of work.

Being a film course I will most definitely be smashing my prospective 550D for most of my assessments! (I use the term 'smashing' in a 'I-will-be-using' sense of the word. There are actually many ways to incorporate 'smashing' into your daily routine. For example, 'I'm just going to smash the dishes!', means, you will be washing the dishes efficiently and with great vigor. It does not mean you will be breaking them into small pieces rendering them unusable.)

Uni!!

No comments:

Post a Comment